This tutorial will guide you in detail through the steps necessary to setup a INVESTBANKS masternode on Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit remote server (VPS) that is controlled via your local Control wallet. Your local wallet is not required to be kept open and you can store it as a cold wallet whilst still collecting masternode payments. There are other ways to setup masternode, but this one is highly recommended as it’s one of the most secure ways.
- Local system – your everyday computer, which will run Control wallet and hold the masternode coins
- Remote VPS with Ubuntu Server 18.04 64-bit OS installed with unique IP address that is running 24/7
- Minimum VPS specs: 50 GB of storage space, 2 GB of RAM, 1 dedicated CPU core
- Latest INVESTBANKS Core wallet release: v4.1.0
- 1000 INVESTBANKS (good to have 1001 to make sure you can cover transaction fee)
(NOTE: You will need a different IP address for each masternode you plan to host.)
Configuration of your Control wallet
Step 1 – Download INVESTBANKS wallet
Download the most recent version of the INVESTBANKS Core wallet here: IBANK Wallet
Step 2 – Extract and install the wallet
Choose the proper version for your operating system. Extract it, install and run the wallet. After starting the wallet for the first time, it will offer you to make a default INVESTBANKS data directory. Depending on your operating system, the default directory should be similar to:
The above example of default directory is Windows based, for other operating systems, check HERE
If you choose your own location ensure that you record where that is.
Step 3 – Download the latest snapshot (OPTIONAL!) IBANK Blockchain
This is entirely OPTIONAL step. It is always recommended not to trust, but to verify the blockchain yourself. However, since this would take longer than downloading the latest blockchain snapshot, there is a way to speed up the synchronization by downloading the latest snapshot. It can be downloaded from: IBANK Blockchain Tutorial how to use it is also there.
Step 4 – Create a Masternode using Creation Wizard
First of all, make sure that you have 1000 IBANK in your wallet (in fact, 1001 IBANK to make sure you are able to cover the transaction fees).
- Follow the steps 1 to 15 in the images.
- Unlock the wallet.
- Go to “Masternodes” tab.
- Click “Create Masternode Controller“.
- Masternode Creation Wizard intro window will open. It just reminds you that you need to have 1000 IBANK in your wallet in order to create a Masternode. Just click the “Next” button.
- Now you need to type the Masternode name as per your wish (i.e. “IBANKMASTERNODE1”) and then click “Next” button again.
- Now you will be asked to type the IP address of your VPS (it might look similar to “18.104.22.168”), and then click “Next” button again.
- If everything went successful, you should get a message “Master node created!”.
- Status of the newly created Masternode will be “MISSING”. That is normal in this phase.
We will get back here to Control wallet little bit later after we setup VPS.
VPS Remote wallet installation
These procedures are for a clean server install. If you have an existing installation then some steps may not be required. Performing the steps is unlikely to have any effect on the system. Securing the server has NOT been included in this tutorial. That is your responsibility. Although it’s not required, a great guide can be found HERE to assist you.
To be able to access a VPS, you need a software/SSH client like PuTTY for example. You can choose between alternatives as well, but this tutorial will not include installation of such software. After you successfully login to your VPS, follow the further steps.
Step 1 – Install most recent security patches
A clean server install will likely need some software updates. Enter the following command which will bring the system up to date:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
Step 2 – Download and extract INVESTBANKS Core wallet for Linux
Enter the following command lines one by one to download and extract INVESTBANKS wallet:
cd ~ && wget https://github.com/INVESTBANKS-Project/INVESTBANKS/releases/download/v4.1.0/investbanks-4.1.0-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gztar -zxvf investbanks-4.1.0-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz && sudo rm -f investbanks-4.1.0-x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz
Configuration of your Masternode
Step 3 – Create the masternode configuration file and populate
Before the node can operate as a masternode a custom configuration file needs to be created. Since we have not loaded the wallet yet, we will create the necessary directories and the configuration file by typing the following command lines one by one:
mkdir ~/.investbanks && cd ~/.investbanks && sudo apt-get install nano && touch investbanks.conf && nano investbanks.conf
This command has created a blank INVESTBANKS configuration file where we will enter our masternode configuration variables. Now we should properly setup configuration settings.
Paste the following configuration settings into the editor (using PuTTY, paste is being done simply by right mouse click):
Before you exit the editor, there are 3 parameters that you need to update with your own settings. These are:
- <YOUR_OWN_RPC_USERNAME> – Set this to a custom username. i.e. rpcuser
- <YOUR_OWN_RPC_PASSWORD> – Set this to a STRONG password. i.e. password<– NO!!! Use something more complex for your own safety!
- Now go back to Control wallet in Masternode tab, click on the 3 dots next to Masternode you created few steps above and then click “Info“.
- Now click icon next to “Export data to run the Masternode on a remote server“.
- It will now ask you for a confirmation to export required data to run a Masternode. Click “OK” button.
- Now you will get a message that required info was successfully exported (copied to your clipboard) and now you should paste it in your investbanks.conf file on your VPS under the maxconnections=256 line in investbanks.conf file.
- After all, your investbanks.conf file on your VPS should look like:
- Save and exit the editor by pressing CTRL-O and Enter to save and CTRL-X to exit the editor.
Step 4 – Download the latest snapshot
- Same as couple steps earlier, this step is entirely OPTIONAL. It is always recommended not to trust, but to verify the blockchain yourself. If you still don’t want to go slower, but best and safest way, you can download the latest snapshot from IBANK Blockchain Find the latest snapshot there and copy its link address:
- Now you can download it. To download it, type wget and paste the link address afterwards that you copied earlier and press enter, it should look similar to:
- wget https://snapshots.projectmerge.com/snapshot/investbanks//INVESTBANKSSnapshot2222222.zip
- Wait for the snapshot to download completely. It might take from 30 minutes to couple hours, depending on your VPS download speed. INVESTBANKS blockchain is around 1 GB. After the download is complete, you have to unzip the file. Easy way is to type unzip and just copy-paste the name extracted from the end of link address used earlier above:
- unzip INVESTBANKSSnapshot2222222.zip
- After it’s successfully extracted, it is recommended to remove the .zip file to free some space on VPS:
- rm INVESTBANKSSnapshot2222222.zip
Start your Masternode
Step 5 – Load the masternode
With the configuration created we are now ready to load the masternode and sync to the network. Load the masternode by typing the following command:
cd ~/investbanks/bin && ./investbanksd
You will get the message “INVESTBANKS server starting”. To follow the progress until the wallet is fully loaded and synchronized, type:
tail -f ~/.investbanks/debug.log
Wait until you see the message similar to:
2020-01-10 13:31:01 CMasternodeSync::GetNextAsset – Sync has finished
2020-01-10 13:31:01 CActiveMasternode::ManageStatus() – not capable: Hot node, waiting for remote activation.
Once you get this message, you are completely synced and masternode is ready to be started. Press CTRL-C to get back to command line
*EXTRA STEP ONLY IF YOU DON’T SEE THESE 2 LINES/MESSAGES ANYWHERE:
You will get back hash that will look like:
Paste the number you get after./investbanks-cli reconsiderblock command like this:
./investbanks-cli reconsiderblock 1ab2a12a1a1a121a1212ab1aba121212121ab1a1a12a12121aba1a1abab1212aa1
Now go back to your Control wallet -> Masternodes -> Click “Start Inactive/s”
Status will change from MISSING -> ACTIVE.
Now go back to your VPS and type:
./investbanks-cli startmasternode local false
If everything went well, you should receive the following message:
“Masternode successfully started”
Congratulations! You have successfully started your masternode!
- if the output of getmasternodestatus is fine, then you are perfectly fine. But have in mind that it can take up to 2 hours for masternode to change status from ACTIVE to ENABLED in the masternode list.
- First masternode reward requires a longer waiting period. It usually takes 3-5 days to receive a first masternode reward.
- You can close the Control wallet, as it is not needed. Only VPS should be working 24/7.
Shutdown your Masternode
- How do I stop running masternode on my VPS and delete masternode from my INVESTBANKS Control wallet?
a) In Control wallet in Masternode tab click on Masternode you wish to shutdown and click “Delete”.
b) Restart the wallet.
c) Your 1000 coins are now unlocked and spendable.
- How do I get the 1000 INVESTBANKS back that I’ve sent to my Masternode address at the beginning?
You don’t need to “get it back” as it is already in your wallet.
Being in the different address is not an issue as that’s also your address
- Can I use this 1000 INVESTBANKS normally on my wallet then again, and sell it or stake it normally like before?
Yes! If your wallet is unlocked for staking, it will automatically stake these 1000 coins and you can spend them at any time.